Sunday, June 13, 2010

A rant about feminism and chick flicks

This is a belated little rant about feminism in chick flicks (or lack thereof), and a small assortment of other little things that came to me in this study break. It's kind of like an assorted box of chocolates except smaller, and more about things that I hate and love, but I hate a lot of things. I'm a bitter, twisted person. My rants tend to veer completely off topic though, hence the selection of other things floating around my mind right now.

I love a soppy chick flick as much as the next girl. I will go to hundreds of them, sit through them over and over again, point out improbabilities in the plots, nitpick, laugh, cry, etc. That's all fine. Usually, I confront all of the soppy issues with joyous, girlish abandon and have a good time, but something struck me while watching Letters To Juliet with a good friend of mine. Something I usually ignore, but I just felt was blatantly obvious in that movie, and that is the distinct lack of feministic values shown by the main character.

I get it - it's not a movie that's designed to make you think. I would also like to clarify that I am by not means a crazy, obnoxious, loud feminist, but there are some things I just can't stand - hey, I'm female, I like rights, I don't think certain movies paint us well - us, being the entire female gender. Look, I understand that the girl is in a relationship and it's hard to just get up and leave something like that, but c'mon - get yourself OUT of an unhappy relationship. Don't force yourself through something that sucks, grow a pair and recognize that you can do things for yourself, without some guy's approval.

On the same note, I understand that the whole point of the romantic comedy is to put all of the pitfalls in front of the couple to prevent them getting together, and then bringing them together at the end in a romantic, interesting way, but come on. It's 2010. Girls don't have to wait around for months for a guy to ask them out. We are capable of doing things ourselves. One of the highlights of being mobile, and vocal. Don't spend the entire duration of the movie fumbling around the "I'm in love with him...but how does he feel about me?" idea, get out there and ask him. I'll watch a movie and actually feel disappointed with the main female lead instead of just laughing off her patheticness - it goes to a stage beyond that.

Does the girl have to be lost without the guy?
Can she take the lead for once?
Can a girl in a movie for once turn down a guy who has been a complete douche to her instead of seeing through it all for love?
Can a woman decide to focus on her career, instead of deciding that her relationship is more important?
Can a woman even be the one being douchey, for a change?
Is it possible?

Thought of the day, for those who aren't Masterchef-ily inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment