Monday, June 14, 2010

Why I was in love with Ash Ketchum

I'm going to issue a "TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, MINDBLOWINGLY BAD PUN" warning at the beginning of this. I am ashamed, and yet also slightly proud.

As you may or may not know, dependent on how brilliant you are, when I was young my first ever "celebrity" crush was Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. "Why the hell is she telling us this now?" you ask, and here is my answer for you, apart from the basic reason that it's my blog and you can't have any input as to what I write. Anyway, I think celebrity crushes reveal a lot about you as a kid - yes, while most of my friends were in love with boy band members or boys from our school, I had a thing for a cartoon character (don't judge me). For a variety of reasons, actually.

I'm going to momentarily step out of my little rant and notify you that I was a severely cracked out child. When my younger sister was born, I was running around outside the hospital room dressed as a fairy princess telling everyone how pretty I was. Keep my complete and utter idiocy in mind.

Why exactly was I in love with Ash? I suppose the major thing was that he had balls (Oh god, please excuse the awful pun). I mean that in the non-crude way, and not even in the awesome, had a billion pokeballs kind of way. For a six or so year old girl, the coolest thing ever to me was the fact that this boy who can't have been more than ten and yet he was out there taking on the world, without supervision, being all badass. That kind of independence was something my six year old self was in awe of.

And then, you have the fighting evil part. Sure, not everyone who fought him was evil, but there's nothing cooler than a guy who was good, fighting evil. Team Rocket kept trying to bring him down, but he foiled them everytime (or, they foiled themselves. Such inefficient plans. They should have looked into that). Plus, he liked animals. Well, not animals, pokemon, but check out that bond he had with pikachu - it was adorable. I'm a sucked for soppiness, and that topped the list. It was so cute. And while Brock was out there going all starry eyed over every single nurse or policewoman, Ash was focused and ambitious. I suppose I had high standards.

I guess early celebrity crushes are kind of just echoes of what you move on to like later in life. I just thought I'd share the mechanics of this early little infatuation. I mean, now my hypthetical "perfect guy" list has progressed quite a bit - it's a joke between a friend of mine and I that every time we come out of a movie we add another criteria onto the list of things that this perfect guy can do - often stupid, mind you. We walked out of Race To Witch Mountain (yes, we went to see that. My friends and I will go and see ANYTHING if it involves leaving the house) and said "Right, he's got to be able to withstand the force of an entire car hitting him. Definitely".

No comments:

Post a Comment